22 May 2013

The 100 Day 500 Word Count Challenge

I've started a summer challenge for myself in order not only to encourage the practice of creative writing, but also with the goal of having a completed book by the time I start my final semester at UNC.  Counting from the 15th of this month, if I write at least 500 words a day, I'll end up with a 50,000 word novel by the time I go back to school.  I thought about doing 1,000 words for 50 days instead, so that I'd have more time to edit and revise, but... baby steps.  Anyway, here is the first sentence of my work in progress:

The sun rose on the city of Spierglass, and spilled down from the Sky God’s temple at the top of the mount, down to the courts of the palaces and then further, across the inns and markets and slums of the lower city, where stone gave way and the courtyards were made of beaten dirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment